Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag (GGBFS), otherwise known as slag, is a by-product of the steel and iron industry which is dried and ground down to a fine consistency and commonly used as a partial replacement to cement.
Architectural and Engineering Benefits
Slag offers a number of benefits when used in construction. These include:
- Slag is known to produce durable concrete. A key characteristic of slag is that it possesses self-cementing properties. It’s been found that slagment can double the lifespan of buildings.
- Its a latent hydraulic binder commonly used in concrete and has other uses in construction as a partial cement replacement material.
- It is also a direct replacement for Ordinary Portland Cement by weight.
- It is usually used as an optional additive to cement and concrete mixes.
- Its main function is to increase durability and workability.
- It can be used together with lime and/or cement to stabilise soil prior to road construction.
- It provides protection from both chloride and sulphate attack.
- It reduces the thermal heat gradient generated when pouring the concrete and in the process reduces the likelihood of micro cracking which may tend to weaken the structure’s strength.
- It can alter the colour of concrete to a near-white colour by replacing 50-70% of the concrete, giving the concrete a better appearance.
- It also produces a smoother more defect free surface.
Operations and Capacity
Our plant in Vanderbijlpark has the capacity to produce over 800 000 tons of slagment and over 200 000 tons of blended cementitious products per year. We’ve produced slag for over 50 years, contributing to the building major structures such as dams, bridges and roads.
We produce a number of different Slagment products including custom-made products such as:
- A binder used for backfill in the mining industry, generally for cut-and-fill or room-and-pillar backfilling where high early strength gain is not required
- A binder designed for use with classified or unclassified mine tailing in backfill systems in deep level mining
It's important to us that you, our customers, are able to contact us easily. For each of our product lines, our call centre staff are well-trained to process quotations, place orders and handle delivery queries.
|South African national quotations and orders:|
|National ordering/quotations:||(011) 670 5555
0860 110 010 (sharecall)
|(011) 670 5797|
|Exports:||(011) 670 5619||(011) 670 5119|
|International sales, quotations and orders:|
|Lesotho sales office:||(00266) 22 32 3144||(00266) 22 32 3142|
|Swaziland sales office:||(00268) 518 7078||(00268) 518 5081|
|Botswana sales office:||(011) 670 5555||(011) 670 5797|